How often should you brush your teeth?
Do you know how frequently you should brush your teeth in a day? As easy as it seems many of us might be doing it wrong without availability of ample information regarding this topic. Keeping this in mind Salt Lake Dental has come up with this blog, going through which will give you a clear idea about how often an individual should brush their teeth to maintain oral health. The American Dental Association (ADA) says that everyone should brush at least twice in a day.
You must have come across the fact where experts say that your oral health is a part of your overall wellness and that both of them are directly linked with each other. Thus, tooth brushing on a regular basis helps to ensure your dental health and in turn your physical health by serving the following purposes:
Have you ever wondered about how such a simple activity helps you to protect your teeth from so many issues? As mentioned before bursting removes plaque and tartar from your teeth. This sticky white film called plaque formed of the teeth, mostly consists of bacteria. Once you eat some meal which consists of sugar, the bacteria in the plaque starts to produce acid and causes damage to the tooth enamel. You should know that the acid produced is eventually capable of breaking down the enamel and leading to diseases such as tooth cavities. In case you ignore the deposition of plaque in your mouth, it can harden into tarter. This will make you face more difficult challenges to keep your teeth clean. Buildup of tartar on your gums can also be the cause for gum disease such as gingivitis or gum inflammation.
You must have now gotten a clear idea about why brushing is so important when it comes to maintaining proper oral hygiene. Your diet should also be considered while choosing when to brush your teeth. For example if you have eaten an acidic food or drink, it is advisable to not brush your teeth immediately after you are done eating. Actually the acid content in the food weakens the teeth enamel and brushing too soon can remove it causing sensitivity.
Apart from brushing your teeth twice on a regular basis, you are also advised to:
- Prevents buildup of any tartar and plaque
- Lessens the chances of gum disease
- Prevents cavities
- Helps to avoid chances of getting diagnosed with oral cancer
It has been also seen that people commit silly mistakes when it comes to tooth brushing. You don’t be one of them. It’s only possible if you have a detailed knowledge of why you are doing what you are doing. The common mistakes are:
- Floss your teeth
- Use a mouthwash after brushing or flossing
- Have ample amount of water
- Avoid having food on frequent basis (snacking)
- Live on a healthy diet and limit consumption of sugary drinks and food
- Visit a dentist from time to time
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months.
We hope that giving this blog a diligent read has provided you with all the information related to tooth brushing. You must now be aware of how many times to brush in a day and what mistakes should be avoided while doing so. Apart from this, you might still want to receive advice from a professional in person. In order to do so, you should schedule an appointment at the nearest dental clinic. If you are looking for availing top-class dental services in and around Salt Lake City, UT, USA, then get in touch with Salt Lake Dental today.
- Do not pick up the wrong toothbrush from the supermarket. Always remember that using a toothbrush with hard bristles can be harmful for both your teeth and gums. Ergo, dentists recommend usage of medium or soft bristles.
- When it comes to brushing, the harder isn’t better. Don’t be so harsh with your teeth while brushing. This can lead to abrading of the enamel. Plaque is soft and loose and hence there is no need for scrubbing.
- You should invest time while brushing your teeth. Always remember that rushing won’t yield you the desired results. Experts say that one should at least brush twice in a day for two minutes each.
- This pointer has been mentioned before but still we are laying emphasis on it as many people commit this mistake of holding onto their toothbrush. You should replace it after every three to four months of usage.