The enamel, which is the hard outer covering of your teeth, is one of the hardest components of your body. It has limits, so your teeth may break if they are subjected to severe erosion or a hard blow. This might lead to a rough tooth surface, making your smile look bad and necessitating prompt treatment. This blog contains all of the information on chipped teeth supplied by our dentists at Salt Lake Dental.
Why Do You Suffer From Chipped Or Cracked Tooth?
Many factors can result in chipped teeth. Your Salt Lake City dentist has compiled a list of them for your convenience.
- Hard objects should not be chewed, such as pencils, pens, candies, or ice.
- Accident in a car
- Bruxism is the term for teeth grinding that occurs regularly.
- Using a mouthguard when participating in strenuous activities
Symptoms Of Chipped Teeth
Minor chipping of the teeth that aren’t visible from the front of the mouth may go unnoticed. Periodontal inflammation around the chipped tooth, pain while biting, and an uneven surface when running your tongue over your teeth are all common indications, to name a few.
Which Teeth Are More At Risk?
Your teeth are plainly at risk if they are weak. The second lower molar and teeth with big fillings are regarded to be more susceptible to chipping. Because the second lower tooth is more sensitive to chewing pressure, this occurs. For more information, speak with your dentist in Salt Lake City.
Risk Factors Of Chipped Teeth
- Weaker teeth are thought to be more prone to chipping than stronger teeth. Cavities and tooth rot can weaken your teeth by eroding the enamel, and massive fillings can make them much weaker. Acidic foods like fruit juices, caffeine, and spicy foods can wear down your enamel, exposing your teeth, and teeth grinding can wear down your enamel, exposing your teeth. This is why it’s essential to see your Salt Lake City dentist every six months for a thorough examination.
- Acid reflux and heartburn are digestive disorders that cause stomach acid to flow back into your mouth, causing tooth enamel to erode. Excessive drinking and eating issues can cause frequent vomiting, creating acid that eats away at your enamel. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, make an appointment with your dentist in Salt Lake City.
- Too much sugar can lead to the growth of germs in your mouth, which can chip away at your enamel. Your enamel begins to degrade as you get older. As a result, those over 50 are more likely to have compromised enamel.
Diagnosis Of Chipped Teeth
Your dental care professional will be able to notice a chipped tooth after a quick examination of your mouth. Your symptoms may be assessed, and you may be asked questions regarding the events that led to the chipping.
We hope this information helps you to make better choices regarding your dental health. Book an appointment with us at Salt Lake Dental if you are looking for the best dental care services in Salt Lake City, UT.